When you’re planning a kitchen adventure, the only limit in terms of finishes is your creativity. Do you want neon pink cabinets or a bubble wrap backsplash? No one’s stopping you! If you want jaws to drop for the right reasons, though, consider these unexpected kitchen backsplashes for inspiration:
From dark stained pine to rustic reclaimed barn wood, wood adds a warm and natural feeling to the kitchen. It is not ideal behind the range, but it can make a stunning accent feature behind the counters or pantry.
- Rustic Charm: Reclaimed barn wood adds a touch of history and authenticity, with weathered textures and imperfections creating a truly unique focal point.
- Modern Elegance: Dark stained pine or walnut offer a sleek and sophisticated look, complementing contemporary kitchens beautifully.
- Beyond Aesthetics: Explore light woods like ash or maple for a Scandinavian-inspired minimalism, or opt for exotic woods like teak or bamboo for a touch of global flair.
Whether you have an active family on the go, or you’re an avid chef, magnetic chalkboard backsplashes definitely provide a unique look and important function. Write down recipes, pin up pictures, write a grocery list, or leave a little love note. If black backsplash is not your style, chalkboard paint is available in a number of different colours so you can find the perfect fit.
- Create a designated message board: Dedicate a section for family notes, inspirational quotes, or daily affirmations.
- Combine with other materials: Pair your chalkboard paint with subway tiles, shiplap, or exposed brick for a unique layered look.
- Get creative with shapes: Instead of a standard rectangular backsplash, use stencils or freehand designs to create playful shapes or patterns.
- Incorporate lighting: Install spotlights or under-cabinet lighting to highlight your artistic creations.
With its versatility, functionality, and endless creative possibilities, a chalkboard paint backsplash can transform your kitchen into a dynamic and engaging space.
Copper goes fantastically well in a modern kitchen, but who says it has to be limited to the vent hood? A copper backsplash adds a touch of shone and elegance to your kitchen. For a more rustic look, consider choosing hammered copper for more texture.
Beyond Modern Marvel:
While copper shines in contemporary settings, its warmth and character transcend style boundaries. Explore:
- Rustic Charm: Embrace the natural beauty of hammered copper for a touch of warmth and texture, complementing farmhouse or industrial kitchens beautifully.
- Vintage Vibes: Polished copper exudes a timeless elegance, adding a touch of vintage charm to traditional or eclectic kitchens.
- Global Fusion: Pair copper with vibrant tiles or natural stone for a touch of global flair, reminiscent of Moroccan or Mediterranean influences.
The wonderful thing about using mosaic tiles is that each kitchen looks completely unique. Gather china from old plates, your friends, yard sales, and second-hand stores. Then have some fun smashing away and composing a mosaic out of the pieces.
- Themed Mosaics: Create a nature-inspired scene with pebbles and glass tiles, or a nautical theme with seashells and blue hues.
- Geometric Patterns: Opt for classic tessellations like hexagons or triangles, or get creative with freeform geometric designs.
- Personalized Touches: Incorporate initials, family names, or meaningful symbols into your mosaic for a sentimental touch.
- Textured Mosaic: Combine smooth and textured tiles to add depth and visual interest to your backsplash.
Wine Corks or Bottle Caps
While this may not be suitable for an entire kitchen, the backsplash around the bar area would be enhanced with sliced wine corks or bottle caps. Plus, it’ll be a lot of fun to collect the materials…
- Tell Your Story: Each cork or cap represents a memory, a shared experience, or a cherished moment. Let your collection showcase your love for entertaining and good times.
- Warmth and Texture: Natural cork and metal caps add a tactile element and a touch of rustic charm, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Endless Customization: Arrange corks and caps in patterns, create mosaics, or spell out words and messages – your creativity sets the limit.
Use circular pieces of stained glass to add some colour and shine to your backsplash. It may be too costly or time-consuming to create an entire kitchen backsplash out of stained glass pieces, but it works very well as an accent piece in the bar area or behind the range.
- Mosaic Masterpiece: Combine small stained glass pieces in various colors and textures to create a unique and eye-catching mosaic.
- Framed Beauty: Mount individual stained glass panels in decorative frames for a gallery-like feel.
- Layered Look: Combine stained glass with other materials like tiles or wood for added depth and visual interest.
- Backlit Beauty: Install LED backlighting behind your stained glass to create a mesmerizing glow.
Backsplashes don’t need to be made of pre-existing materials. You can blow up an image of your family, or a garden, or a Parisian café – it’s entirely up to you. Photographs can add a vivid angle to any kitchen backsplash.
Beyond Everyday Snapshots:
- Family Memories: Showcase a cherished family photo, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere that sparks happy memories.
- Travel Inspiration: Transport yourself to your favorite vacation spot with a stunning landscape or cityscape, bringing a touch of wanderlust to your kitchen.
- Artistic Expression: Channel your inner artist with abstract photography, black and white images, or vintage prints for a unique and eye-catching statement.
- Food Photography: Celebrate your culinary passion with close-up shots of mouthwatering dishes, turning your backsplash into a delicious work of art.
Whether you would like to choose an unexpected kitchen backsplash or stick with the “tried and true” materials and textures, it’s up to you. Once you’ve made your choice, RenosGroup will execute your kitchen renovation on time and on budget to deliver outstanding results. To get in touch to schedule renovations, you can fill out an online form or give us a call at (613) 727-9427