If you’ve decided to renovate your home, you have a huge decision to make. It would be best to find skilled contractors that you can trust with your most precious asset, your home. This can certainly affect your home renovation costs
If you select poorly, you risk incurring severe damages to your house. These include:
- Major leaks
- Unsafe electrical work
- Damage to your foundation
- Poor craftsmanship
These are just a few of the things that can go wrong with an inexperienced crew. That’s why you must seek out the best of the best, like us here at RenosGroup. We’re contractors that you can always rely on in Ottawa, and we’ve got the track record to prove it.
So if you want to know what you can expect to pay for a professional renovation, you’re in the right spot.
For quick reference, here’s a table breaking down home renovation costs in Ottawa:
That will give you the gist of what we charge on average. Read on for more detail on what we charge, why, and a complete list of our services.
Contractors in Ottawa: You Get What You Pay For
Sure, there are a lot of cheap contractors in the city. Yet, they end up not being worth it for many reasons. For example, here’s a common scenario we encounter all the time.
A client calls us in a panic because their newly renovated kitchen is a total mess.
The countertops look awful, the tile is wrong, and the kitchen sink sprung a massive leak.
Why is it in such disarray? It’s because they went with a cheap contracting service that promised them the world. They claimed they could beautifully renovate their kitchen for next to nothing.
Here’s a quick rule of thumb for contractors and pricing; if it sounds too good to be true, it always is.
The next thing our client knew, their kitchen became the site of a disaster. Not only that but they got hit with hidden fees and clauses. That’s another common trick of untrustworthy contractors.
At the end of the day, they wound up spending thousands more than they would if they had gone with us in the first place. They still had to pay the cheap contractors, plus the hidden fees, plus paying us to fix their mistakes.
Trust us; save yourself the hassle and call us at RenosGroup. We charge our prices for a reason because they allow us to ensure premium quality work every time.
What to Consider When Researching Contractors
We like to educate our clients at RenosGroup. Here are our top factors to consider when looking for a contractor in Ottawa or elsewhere:
- You get what you pay for in the end. Remember, any contracting service can claim meager prices. The proof is always in the pudding, so be sure to check out reviews before hiring them. Pay close attention to what reviewers have to say about the price quoted versus the price charged. Nine times out of 10, they’re in completely different ballparks.
- Price isn’t everything. Let’s say that you can hire contractors for dirt cheap rates. Well, dirt cheap rates equal dirt cheap quality. You’ll long forget about how much money you saved when you have to come home to face your dreadful renovations each day. Save yourself the heartache and hire professionals from the get-go!
- Quality above all else. What matters more than anything is that you receive quality work. When researching contractors, check out user reviews. Please pay close attention to what reviewers say about their craftsmanship. Also, were they professional with the client? Was there a supervisor present at all times to ensure quality?
- Licensing, insurance, and a legitimate firm that pays taxes. This factor is a huge one. If you choose to do your renovations yourself or hire a crew with no insurance, you could end up on the hook for expensive repairs. If they should make a mistake or do damage to your foundation, it’s up to you to fix it. You also need to hire a legitimate tax-paying company to avoid legal issues. At RenosGroup, we’re licensed, insured, and we always pay our taxes. You’ll be in great hands when you choose us for renovations in Ottawa.
- Contracts that feature plain English. Shady contractors love to pull tricks with the wording in their contracts, so beware. If the contract seems a little too vague or ambiguous, it’s likely on purpose. That’s so they can sneak in hidden fees and clauses to get more of your money. As a rule of thumb, never sign a contract that you can’t understand. At RenosGroup, all our contracts feature plain English. We spell everything out in as precise terminology as possible.
- Their level of experience/whether they use subcontractors. When looking for a contracting service, try to find one that doesn’t sub out anything. Of course, we never feature any subcontractors at RenosGroup. That’s because we have a diverse team of experts with varying specialties. If a contractor has to use subcontractors, it’s a tell-tale sign they lack experience. They also give up their quality control whenever they sub out specific jobs. So if you want a fantastic job done no matter what, use us at RenosGroup. Every job that we perform gets done by one of our internal professionals.
As you can see, there’s a lot to consider when selecting general contractors in Ottawa.
To save yourself some time and hassle, you can use us at RenosGroup. We have all the factors that you see listed above, plus many more. When it comes to getting the most bang for your buck, we provide the most robust craftsmanship and quality work.
We’ll never cut corners or use subpar materials to save a buck. Instead, all our time, energy, and effort go toward making your dream home a reality.
We’re committed to providing you with superb renovations and home additions at reasonable prices. So if you need the best general contractors Ottawa has available, we won’t let you down at RenosGroup.
Our Price Ranges / Home Renovation Costs
Here are our price ranges for the most common renovation services we offer. Bear in mind; these are by no means final prices. Lots of aspects vary from job to job, and they each affect the price.
For the most accurate pricing information, reach out to us for a detailed quote.
We’ll provide one for you during your free in-home consultation with us.
The following estimates are average basic costs only. For the calculations, we used mid-level products. These include supplies, labor, debris disposal, and project management. Also, all per square foot pricing can’t apply to smaller projects as minimums apply.
Bathroom Renovation Costs
Soaker Tub, Tile Shower Walls, Faucet, and Shower Curtain Rod: $8,500+ HST and up
Here, we’ll replace your existing bathtub with an acrylic soaker tub. From there, we’ll replace your shower walls with new tiling. We’ll replace the tub and shower faucet and install a new shower curtain rod. Of course, we’ll diligently clean up our job site each day with a disposal trip at the end. We’ll transport any garbage to the waste facilities on the outskirts of town. The price includes all parts, products, labor, debris disposal, and project management.
Shower Conversion: $10,000+ HST and up
Do you no longer bathe in your bathtub? Has it become increasingly difficult to get over the edge of your tub? Then a shower conversion would be perfect for you. We’ll replace your bathtub with a shower in the same footprint. You’ll get an acrylic shower base, shower faucet, and custom shower walls and doors. Price includes all parts, labor, and more. We’ll perform daily cleanups and disposal trips.
Bathroom Upgrade: $18,000 – $22,000+ HST and up
If it’s time for a complete overhaul, you should upgrade your bathroom. We’ll remove and replace the contents of an average-sized, four-piece bathroom. That includes the tub, shower, faucet, tile, toilet, and more. We’ll install brand-new flooring, medicine cabinets, and lighting fixtures. A bathroom upgrade includes a fresh coat of paint and new tile. We’ll ensure that everything new connects to your existing plumbing hookups to avoid any hassle.
Minor Bathroom Renovation: $22,000 – $25,000+ HST and up
Here, we’ll gut out your entire four-piece bathroom. We’ll replace absolutely everything, including the shower, walls, toilet, sink, cabinets, and more. You’ll get the chance to select from premium new products for your redesigned bathroom.
Major Bathroom Renovation (Higher end or En-suite) $25,000 – $35,000+ HST and up
You get everything that you see in the bathroom renovation listed above. Yet, everything comes with more excellent finishes and higher-end tile, appliances, and fixtures. We also provide a custom-built shower area, custom-glass shower enclosure, and tile flooring. Not only that, but we’ll provide you with brand-new plumbing and electrical. So if you’re looking to pull out all the stops for your bathroom renovation in Ottawa, this is the way to do it.
Kitchen Renovation Costs
Kitchen Upgrade: $25,000 – $30,000+ HST and up
If your kitchen is essentially the way you want it, save for a few enhancements, an upgrade is ideal. That way, you can only replace your cabinets, countertops, sink, backsplash, and flooring. You can also add a fresh coat of paint to your walls and ceiling. For a kitchen upgrade, we tend to keep everything in the same location for your convenience.
Minor Kitchen Renovation: $30,000 – $35,000+ HST and up
If you need a bit more than simple upgrades, minor renovations are wise. We can give you a new layout design, updated electrical wiring, new lighting fixtures, and more. Also, we’ll provide semi-custom cabinets for you. Need a new backsplash? That’s no problem for us. We’ll re-tile it for you as part of the package. If you’re sick of your kitchen floor, why not replace it? We have a myriad of fantastic kitchen flooring options, so don’t be shy. You can do a lot to transform the look and feel of your kitchen with some minor renovations from RenosGroup.
Major Kitchen Renovations: $35,000 – $65,000+ HST and up
If your kitchen is in dire need of change, then it’s time to gut it out. We’ll tear everything down so that we can start from scratch. During your free in-home consultation, you can speak with our in-house interior designer. They’ll help you come up with a brand-new layout for your kitchen. By the time that we’re done, it’ll look like a brand-new kitchen. We’ll provide electrical, plumbing, new fixtures, appliances, countertops, cabinets, and more. The sky is the limit for what you can do with your kitchen when our team is by your side.
Laminate Countertop – Supply and Install: $1,800+ HST and up
Labor/installation: $600 + $1,200 product
Average size kitchen countertops are 40 square feet. We tend to charge $30 per square foot and up. With our laminate countertops, you can give your kitchen an inexpensive fresh new look. There are lots of options for color and texture.
Quartz Countertops – Supplied and Installed by Stone Company: $3,200+ HST and up
Granite Countertops – Supplied and Installed by Stone Company: $2,400+ HST and up
For quartz, approximate charge $80 – $100 per square foot. For granite, approximate charge $60 – $80 per square foot.
Solid stone countertops are a great way to boost your resell value. They also look fantastic and add elegance and sophistication to your kitchen. They’re beautiful, durable, and practical.
Adding Finished Spaces Costs
Finished Basements: $30,000 – $80,000+ HST and up
We based this figure on a basement that’s around 700 – 1,000 square feet. We charge approximately $45 – $85 per square foot to finish a basement. The lower square foot pricing includes basic finishings. In turn, the higher square foot pricing includes higher-end finishes and a full bathroom. Finishing your basement is a great way to save money on your utility bill. With our team at RenosGroup, we can repurpose your basement into just about anything.
Garage Addition: $45,000 – $114,000+ HST
Ex: 12′ x 20′ 240 SF garage, up to a 24′ x 25′ 600 SF two-car garage
We charge $190 – $200 per square foot on average for garage additions. Let us help you add more space so that you can park another vehicle or add more storage.
Basic Room Addition: $57,000 – $125,000+ HST
Ex: 15′ x 15′ 225 SF bedroom, up to a 20′ x 25′ 500 SF room addition.
We charge $270 – $275 per square foot on average. The price is for a single room addition with minimal structural and electrical work. No plumbing is included with this price.
Kitchen/Bathroom or Multi-Room Addition: $62,000 – $207,000+ HST
Ex: 15′ x 15′ 225 SF kitchen, up to 25′ x 30′ 750 SF
Crawl Space/Stem Wall Foundation: $10,000 – $25,000 HST
Full-Height Basement Foundation: $25,000 – $60,000 HST
Average cost: $25 – $40 per square foot of wall space
There you have a full price breakdown of our services at RenosGroup. We charge fair and reasonable rates, especially considering the quality of work that we do. If you have any further questions about home renovation costs, please don’t wait to get in touch for a free in-home consultation, you can call us at (613) 727-9427.